My name is Josslyn Ryan. I was born and raised in 100 Mile House, a small town located in the interior of BC. I grew up in a loving family of five on a hobby farm where my younger brothers and I had ten acres of land to explore and call home. My appreciation for music began at a very young age as our home was filled with musical instruments, singing, and country music. I was also very fortunate to grow up experiencing the outdoors as my dad would bring me along to his work in the forestry industry. When I was thirteen-years-old I began to pursue music within my community by singing and playing guitar at fundraisers and special events. During high school, I had a choir teacher who mentored me in my music and encouraged me to continue studying the subject further.

I completed my schooling from Kindergarten to grade 12 in 100 Mile House where I performed quite well throughout and had an overall positive educational experience. After high school, I enrolled in the basic musicianship program at Douglas College in New Westminster, BC, which is where I was first introduced to the world of classical music. After completing my music certificate, majoring in voice, I transferred to Capilano University in North Vancouver where I completed my music diploma, majoring in vocal performance. During the summers between university, I worked as a forestry field technician in which I decided to pursue for a full year after I graduated my music diploma. 

My time working outdoors in some of the most remote places in BC pushed me beyond what I thought I was capable of, and provided me with some of my most valued learning experiences in which I hope to pass on to my future students. At this time, I was also teaching private guitar lessons on the weekends, which was a pivotal moment in my life. I watched my students grow immensely through learning music as they were able to express themselves in a way they weren’t able to before. Without this experience, I would not have the passion for teaching that I do today.  While working in the forestry field, I spent a lot of time alone and engulfed in nature. Because of this, I was able to reflect on my life and allow my newly-found joy in teaching to accumulate in my heart and mind. 

After months of reflecting and researching the teaching career, I finally decided to take the next step and enrol at Thompson Rivers University which is where I find myself today. Though there have been obstacles along the way, I will be graduating in 2021 with my Bachelor of Elementary Education specializing in Music and English. Like many young adults, I struggled with anxiety about my career choice, and for the first time in my life, I can confidently say that teaching is what I am meant to do.