Small Explorers Family Daycare

While I was in the beginning stages of pursuing my career as a teacher, I volunteered at a family daycare. My tasks involved helping the teacher carry out crafts and activities for children ages 2-7 years old. This opportunity provided me with the experience of working with children who were in the beginning stages of their learning in reading, writing, and motor-skills. I was also able to sing and play the guitar for the children which was one fo my first experiences in realizing how valuable music is in education. The children loved to sing along, and the music acted as a brain break for them between activities.

Lac La Hache Elementary

Volunteering at Lac La Hache Elementary school was my first experience working in a public school. I worked alongside two very experienced teachers who guided me through the process of classroom management and facilitating lessons to their students. The class I was working in was a K-3 classroom which was a challenging environment as we needed to meet the needs of children who were all at different stages in their learning. Again, I was encouraged to bring my guitar into the classroom to lead music lessons to the students, which again was a positive learning experience.

Ensenada, Mexico

Volunteering in Ensenada, Mexico, was an experience that formed my appreciation for global education. I worked in an orphanage for children with disabilities, handed out care packages to those in need, and helped with gardening and construction. I went on this trip viewing myself as someone who was using my privilege to help others. While that may be true, I left feeling as though the culture, kindness, and humbled lifestyles of the people I met, had in turn helped me. I was communicating with people who lived in plywood shacks and had to travel miles for clean water, yet had the most infectious smiles and appreciation for life. This made me reflect on my life as I realized how much we can enjoy life without materialistic things.