Forestry

Throughout the past six years of working as a forest technician, I had the opportunity to learn about the outdoors through experience and knowledge from others. I’ve always had an appreciation for the outdoors; however, I was encouraged to learn the names and uses of the plants around me, the significance certain species in the area and how to protect them, how to assess an ecosystem based on its soil, while also learning how to navigate through diverse landscapes. This experience has provided me with valuable learning as we are all connected to nature in some form.

My appreciation and knowledge of nature “naturally” comes out in my teaching as I feel that it is important for students to experience outdoor learning. This type of learning is relational, experiential, and holistic which parallels one of the  First Peoples Principle of Learning – “learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place.)

ASSAI Guitar Program

My time as an after-school program leader provided me with the opportunity to share my knowledge and passion of music with students in a fun, facilitated learning environment. The goal of this program is to provide students with an opportunity to engage in skill-building activities while also building positive relationships with caring adults in the school district. Within this seven-week program, there was a strong sense of community and trust between myself and the students. The students would come to this program directly after school, so it was integral to create a space that allowed them to leave their stresses and worries at the door, and engage in fun activities. While learning new skills and engaging in action-filled activities is important, some of the most effective moments in the program were during the first ten minutes of attendance and socializing. This experience opened my eyes to how important it is for a teacher to engage and connect with their students in a positive light at the beginning of the day. While this program was geared towards skills in playing guitar, I ensured that students had the opportunities to engage in art, drama, and other areas of music education to create a holistic learning environment.