Cancun, Mexico

Growing up, my family never travelled extensively. The first time I saw the ocean was when I was twelve-years-old, and I never left Canada until I was fifteen. That being said, I had very little education or experience with different cultures or environments.

When I was fifteen, my family went on our first international vacation to Mexico. For the first time, I was surrounded by a language that wasn’t my own, I was learning how to use a different currency, listening to Spanish music, and trying new foods. This was an overall great experience for myself and my family; however, because it was at an all-inclusive resort and my only experience of Mexico, I viewed it as a luxurious country full of pools and palm trees.

Ensenada, Mexico

It wasn’t until I was eighteen that I went back to Mexico, except this time it was for a different purpose and my most valued travelling experience. I decided to embark on a missions trip to Ensenada, Mexico, where we would be volunteering at an orphanage for children with disabilities.

My tasks during this trip were to creatively engage with the children in spite of the language barriers between us. This experience not only taught me how to work with developmental and physical disabilities among children, but the significance of
creatively communicating with them—an essential skill for a teacher.

Knowing I was going to Mexico, I was guilty of holding my previous experience as a standard for my travels. I will never forget looking out the window as we drove through the Mexican border and seeing such extreme poverty to my left, and a gated community of beautiful beaches and crowds of people on my right. This was an incredibly reflective moment for myself as I realized how skewed my perspective of this country was.

I have experienced first hand how important global education is. I received very little in my education, and I developed hurtful stereotypes because of it. As a future teacher, I hope to use my travelling experiences as learning opportunities for my students.